Boy and lady in Halloween costumes.
For teenagers, no vacation can match Halloween for pure enjoyable: Scary costumes, trick-or-treating, class events, journeys to haunted homes, and plenty and plenty of sweet.
Sadly, nonetheless, it is also some of the harmful occasions of the yr for teenagers.
Whereas the tales of razor blades in apples or toxic sweet are exceedingly uncommon, kids face loads of different dangers on Halloween.
Youngsters carrying loose-fitting costumes can journey and fall, pointed objects like canes or swords could cause eye accidents, and pumpkin carving at all times creates a spike in hand and finger injuries, in keeping with orthopedic surgeons.
However the greatest hazard is cars. In line with the group Protected Children Worldwide, kids are roughly twice as likely to be struck and killed by a car on Halloween than on another evening.
It is often darkish when trick-or-treaters are out, and so they would possibly dart out into roadways of their pleasure. In the meantime, motorists are extra apt to have been consuming, as a result of recognition of Halloween occasions in bars. The end result, in keeping with a study revealed in JAMA Pediatrics in January, is a 43% heightened danger of pedestrian fatality in contrast with different autumn evenings.
Subsequently, if you wish to preserve your little trick-or-treaters protected on Halloween evening, listed below are just a few steps it’s best to think about:
- Make certain that costumes match correctly to scale back the chance of tripping. Discourage darkish costumes in favor of brightly coloured ones.
- Make certain that masks match correctly and don’t impair imaginative and prescient or respiratory.
- Select face paint and make-up as a substitute of masks as a lot as attainable.
- Preserve candle-lit jack-o-lanterns away from areas the place kids can brush towards them. Think about using LED lights inside them as a substitute.
- Put reflective tape on deal with baggage. Preserve toys with small components away from kids beneath age 3.
- Remind kids to stroll safely: Look ahead to site visitors, cross streets at corners utilizing alerts and crosswalks, and make eye contact with drivers earlier than crossing in entrance of them.
- Have children put on glow sticks or flashlights to assist them see and be seen by drivers.
As well as, it’s best to at all times accompany younger kids on their neighborhood rounds. If kids are sufficiently old to go alone, plan and overview a route that’s acceptable and specify a time when they need to be residence.
Halloween is an thrilling time for teenagers. By paying consideration to some easy guidelines, you may assist them to take pleasure in it safely.